Hogwarts' Students

Hogwarts' Students
Friends without borders

Music from Within

Joint Fireworks Night by Singapore & Hongkong Societies

Tuesday 30 October 2007

30th Oct 2007 - Lamb Chop

Last Friday evening, while I was walking back after my lecture, an air of gloominess surrounded me while darkness obscured my vision. It was just a quarter past 6, yet it seem like the night had gone on forever… Despite being shrouded in darkness, I felt otherwise. It was a new experience for me, someone from the tropics, who only knew the Sun would rise and set for fixed hours a day back in Singapore. Last weekend was also the end of daylight saving, in which the time in UK would be pushed back an hour following the end of daylight saving. I was pretty intrigued by this whole “episode”!

I had my 1st picnic in the UK at Durham’s botanic garden. I thought my friend was crazy for organizing a picnic without a regard for the chilly weather. Fortunately for us, the temperature rose and it wasn’t as cold as usual. It was good company as well, and I was glad I went for the picnic despite my initial reservations about it. The garden isn’t as big as the botanical garden in Singapore, but it was really amazing to see lambs roaming about the garden. I felt, for a brief moment, that I was in New Zealand! Haha, I think lambs are really gluttons. When I entered the garden, they were eating non-stop. When I left, they were still eating, seems like all they do each day is just munching and munching non-stop. I wonder why they don’t get fat. Also, there is only one single ram in the entire lamb population. It’s akin to the “emperor” of China and his harem of “concubines”. Lucky ram I must say!

Recently, I went to the Metrocentre near Newcastle. It’s touted as one of the biggest shopping malls in Europe. It was pretty impressive when I 1st arrived there, a little overwhelmed by the size of it. However, after spending several hours there, I began to feel that much of its fame is over hyped. I would still prefer shopping in London because the shops or boutiques there don’t carry as wide a range as those in the capital. It’s quite a shame since the Metrocentre is supposed to be THE place to be at, I think…

I have just gotten myself a good nonstick pan today, haha, quite happy with my purchase. The 2 previous cheapskate nonstick pans I bought were around 6 SGD each and both were spoilt within 2 weeks of cooking. I’m sure I took care of my pans, after several initial disastrous episodes with nonstick utensils! Anyway, my future sister-in-law said I gotten a good deal with my new Tefal pan. It’s relatively cheap even when compared to Singapore prices. Found out that the Tefal pans cost roughly the same whether it’s in the UK or in Singapore. By the way, hehe, my fried rice is much nicer now and so is my aglio olio pasta… My Taiwanese friend said my food always looks nice to eat, but I told her that looks are deceiving! My British flat mate also commented that I seem to know how to cook well, I guess it’s just my poise when I cook, ever charming and professional!

Oh yes, before I end off, there was a stupid fire alarm this morning at 7.15am! There was no way you could stay in your room and carry on sleeping, unless you're already dead haha. Every room has a fire alarm and it's so bloody loud that I bet that even the corpses from cemeteries miles away have woken up for this fire drill as well! Furthermore, you can't just step out in your shirt and shorts because it's so cold, still had to change into my jeans and donned on my jacket... zzz... going back to "sleep" now!

No comments: