Hogwarts' Students

Hogwarts' Students
Friends without borders

Music from Within

Joint Fireworks Night by Singapore & Hongkong Societies

Friday 12 October 2007

11th Oct 2007 - Fairy Tale Morning

My morning began rather nicely like a fairy tale… reckon most people would have come across tales of frogs turning into charming princes after being kissed by a princesses. This morning, I was lucky to experience such an encounter. However, I wasn’t the frog who was kissed. Instead, the “princess” took the role of the frog and I, the prince. No, I didn’t kiss the frog, just in case you’re curious. All I had was a frog for company on my way to school. To be honest, I feel that not many people look good in green, but the frog did look pleasant in green, after all, since it’s a frog right?

Well, the past few days or week since school began were mentally draining for me. The need to get into the studying cycle once again, the need to be disciplined, the need to even get out of bed early, all these needs took a toll on me. I felt I’ve become more moody and less friendly, maybe it’s true? I haven’t really met up with my international friends, except bumping into them occasionally after lectures or classes. Guess everyone has started to get busy, but as our Vice-Chancellor said “do not let your studies get in the way of your education.” I seriously wonder how many would adhere to his words. I do agree with him to some extent. Many people think that university is all about academic results, but in my opinion, it’s rather untrue. A complete university education isn’t only about studying but comprises of one’s personal development i.e. time management, learning to prioritize issues, facing challenges etc. Now I’m wondering why did I even type the previous line, am I getting older or more mature?

Though I feel that I’m being drained of my life essence due to school, I was motivated to study and do more work today. I don’t know what had gotten into me, perhaps it’s due to having a good start to my day or maybe having a short day in school today left me with more free time to do my work. Anyway, I felt quite satisfied that I actually did more work than usual today, so much so that I ended up doing something funnily stupid. I wanted to have fried rice for dinner tonight, and I’m aware that overnight rice is better for fried rice. So I decided to cook my rice in the afternoon, and chill it in the fridge till dinner time. Alas, I was so engrossed in my work that I left the rice cooking in the pot for around an hour! When I realized that I left the rice cooking in the kitchen, it was too late by then. The whole kitchen smelt of something being burnt. Even up till now, which is roughly around midnight, the kitchen still has the burnt odour. My rice was totally charcoal black (my rice became rice crisp!), as though someone deliberately set fire onto it. To my utter dismay, my nonstick pot was also spoilt by the burnt rice. I really felt dumb, because I just spoilt my nonstick saucepan a couple of days again, and now something similar happened. Thankfully I have another 2 pots to use and not have to waste money purchasing another pot. So much for wanting to cook fried rice for dinner…

Well, it’s finally Friday. I’m sincerely glad for Friday to arrive as I feel I’m being overworked. It’s not that I have been mugging like crazy over the past 2 weeks, but I reckon my Singaporean mugging genes are setting in. Possibly only a matter of time, I hope or hope not, before I become a full-fledge NUS mugger in Durham. Well, it isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I have to bear in mind the words of my Vice-Chancellor as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denis, its always nice to hear more of you thru yr blog. Well is a good thing noticing the frog on way to lecture, this meaning you do apprecites the surroundings nsture and its environment. Being an exchange student not only mean learning and enjoying foreign culture but academic also needed taken care off making one better person in future life. Onto the burned rice, well.. its part of varsity student experience that yr old man went thru as well. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

the surrounding's nature and...