Hogwarts' Students

Hogwarts' Students
Friends without borders

Music from Within

Joint Fireworks Night by Singapore & Hongkong Societies

Monday 5 November 2007

5th Nov 2007 - Wondrous Weekend

Today is my 55th day abroad. Time really flies, having been in the UK for nearly 2 months already. I realized that I enjoy my weekends in UK so much more than in Singapore, so much so that they go by in a blink of an eye. Weekends in Singapore would just be spent on studying, studying and more studying. There wasn’t a differentiating factor between weekends and weekdays back then. Now, you must be wondering why I keep droning on and on about weekends right? Hehe, I had a wondrous weekend. I’m not sure if it’s my nicest weekend in UK, but I daresay I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Although it was a meager weekend, with only 2 days which is stating the obvious, I felt like I’d gone through more than what 2 whole days should encompass. I went to the Metrocentre twice, just to find a suitable winter coat but the stock didn’t arrive, which is really a shame. On my escapades to Newcastle, I encountered a few funny incidents such as a group of very jovial, bordering on the brink of being rowdy, Leeds fans who were on their way to Newcastle. I reckon there was a match being scheduled there, and they were running up and down the train, cheering, singing, shouting and dancing on board the train. It was as though they chartered the train, but they didn’t bother any of the passengers except with the decibels they were creating. That aside, they were indeed pretty comical. It’s something you don’t get to see in Singapore, so I tried to record a video of them secretly, after following my friend’s suggestion haha.

I felt like I was living life in a movie as well last weekend. It was as though I was in a fantasy world where realism had no place in it. I was walking with my friend along the streets in the midst of the night, only to be stunned with sudden loud bangs echoing through the darkness of the night. We gazed upwards towards the sky, only to be greeted by the fabulous sight of fireworks brilliantly lighting up the otherwise gloomy night. Isn’t it like a scene from the movies, where fireworks can coincidentally occur while one is walking along the riverbanks or crossing a bridge, creating such a romantic setting?

Besides being caught in the brilliance of fireworks, I was unfortunate enough to get caught in the rain as well. Haha, not only was it wet, but it was cold as well. However, it was quite a memorable walk in the rain for me. Perhaps it’s my 1st time being caught in the rain in UK or was there another reason? Hehe, shall leave it to your imagination!

Oh yes, I was also pretty unlucky! I actually missed the last train back to Durham from Newcastle. Gosh, I didn’t realize that there was a last train because in London, trains are like running through the night I think? And it was quite a surprised because I was at the train station slightly before 10pm and the last train back to Durham had already left. How irritating and annoying! Thankfully, I approached another couple and asked them about the electronic boards being totally black (i.e. display-less). It was through them that I found out I missed the last train, and so did they haha. With a stroke of luck, this couple also happened to be heading back to Durham, so we ended sharing a taxi back to Durham. It cost 30 idiotic pounds! But thanks to the taxi ride, I received my 1st British pecks on the cheeks, to be exact, it was thrice… and she was pretty as well! My companion could testify to that.

Many other incidents happened throughout this weekend, albeit it was only 2 days. I witnessed someone slipping and falling unglamorously, a British girl coming up to me and asking me for 40 pence at the train station, some British punks who tried to be funny with me, thankfully I managed to walk away unscathed by pretending I didn’t understanding English and ignore the fact they were hurling abuses and insults.

All in all, it was a lovely weekend, with great food as well. Dad & Mom, I heeded your advice to dine at a restaurant haha! I had my 1st Japanese meal in UK and it was surprisingly not bad. Not as good as in Singapore for the price of it, but it was seriously quite tasty and appetizing… Alright, time to collect my laundry though I’m really lazy and it’s freezing cold now. The weather’s crazy today, sigh, I dislike windy days.

No comments: