Hogwarts' Students

Hogwarts' Students
Friends without borders

Music from Within

Joint Fireworks Night by Singapore & Hongkong Societies

Thursday 6 March 2008

6th March 2008 - Speaking English

I’m finally done with my work for this evening. I feel quite relieved now, especially with the bulk of my design project done. It really is annoying when I have to spend more time on the project just when I thought I’m done with it. Alright, enough of griping now since work’s over, at least for today. I didn’t know that some of my friends do read my blog, so I’m now writing this entry for someone =P

Apparently, there seems to be some animosity between the British and Americans. I just watched a programme and the host for the show said something along the lines of Americans are fat and they have to have cheese in their food. It was quite hilarious actually. For myself, I particularly like British humour because it’s not only witty but creative. The usage of the English language is simply fascinating! However, all the Americans that I’ve met so far are absolutely lovely people. They make an effort to get to know you better and through conversations with them, one can sense that they’re sincere. I suppose this prejudice against the Americans stems from the past. I may be wrong but I suppose to the British, it seems that America has corrupted the English language. I do hear some of my British mates occasionally raising a point or making a joke about it. From what I’ve heard, the colloquial English used in America is inherently “ancient”. It was the way English was spoken eons ago in the past when the British colonized America and the Americans have kept that style of speaking English. I reckon it’s similar to how a Portuguese might feel towards a Brazilian. I found out that some people who learn Portuguese find that the Brazilian way of speaking it is nicer and more romantic as compared to the way the originators of that language speak it. This, perhaps, explains the slight biasness.

My British friend complimented me just the other day. He told me that he fancies the way I speak English due to my usage of various words. Haha, he also mentioned that my vocabulary is good. This coming from a British was especially pleasant =) I noticed that many of my friends commented on my hair and that it is long now. I don’t really think it’s long, just not as short as before, after all, hair does grow in length over time if I’m not mistaken? Besides this, some also commented on my smile, my cheeky smile to be precise! What exactly is a cheeky smile? I can’t really help the way I smile I guess? It seems like I am being defined as a person through my hair and smile now, which is really quite sad since my character relies on my hair & smile!

Putting that aside, it’s only less than 2 weeks before the end of term. I shall then be in Italy and a multitude of other places in the weeks to come. Gosh, I sure am getting excited as my anxiety builds up. UK is really a decent place to live in. The pace is slower here and the way of life more relaxing. I wouldn’t mind staying here indefinitely if not for the cold weather. The times when I desperately wished I have a car are when the weather gets insanely cold and windy. Walking up the slope to my college in the absurd weather is akin to… I can’t even find anything apt to compare it to. It’s just simply suicidal! Haha, those are the days where one would just want to stay in the room and laze about doing nothing. If I’m studying here as a full time student, I think I would pleadingly request a car from my parents. After all, the cost of a decent car here isn't sky high. In addition to the horrendous weather at times, the worst thing about UK is its cuisine. Welcome to the land where one’s palate gets poisoned and killed. If you want to nullify your taste buds and develop Ageusia as a result, do come to the UK! English food is just plain lousy & unappetizing. Ask anyone, any Asian or European, and you will find a common consensus. Goodness, one aspect of Singapore that I miss sorely is the FOOD! At times, I would think of the day I return to Singapore and having supper with my brothers while talking rubbish. Haha, we speak rubbish not because we’re airheads but you can’t expect an engineer-to-be to speak about boring “techy” stuff!

Today, while I was walking up the dreaded slope, I saw my flat mate in front of me. Being the usual friendly self, I attempted to catch up with him but alas, I was having a tummy upset. It greatly hindered my ability to walk fast and imagine that I usually take 15 minutes or longer to walk up, it really is a torment to have to climb back up to my room, especially when I’m one kilogram heavier filled with S***! Originally, I intended to fly off to travel after my exams, but I heard from my British friend that the weekend after the exams concluded was supposedly the biggest weekend of the year in Durham. Think I shall alter my holiday schedule! Hehe, it’s going to be parties after parties, typical of the English which is cracking, after the exams while waiting for the release of results. I do not know why, but recently, I started developing a sweet tooth and am becoming a sugar addict… I have an urge to drink coke which I rarely drink in Singapore. Meanwhile, to satisfy my cravings, I’ve been indulging in cakes which are certainly splendid. Gosh, just thinking of it is enough to send me into a state of blissfulness, NOT! I have to drop by a café soon =P

Hmnz, I think I am really getting old. Throughout the day, I made a mental record of what I want to blog, but it seems like my memory is failing me. My thoughts are fleeting and fading into the depths of my mind. “Depths of my mind” makes it seems like I’m a deep person haha! Oh yes, I wanted to conclude this entry but I suddenly remembered something. I’ve began to ask my lecturers from referrals and one of them has already obliged. It really is easier to get a referral since the classes are so small and the lecturer would probably know who you are and know you better as a student. Hope the rest would similarly follow suit then *crosses my fingers*. Well, it’s time to get some well deserved rest! Good night peeps.

No comments: