Hogwarts' Students

Hogwarts' Students
Friends without borders

Music from Within

Joint Fireworks Night by Singapore & Hongkong Societies

Thursday 28 February 2008

28th Feb 2008 - Earthquake

Currently, a familiar tune is echoing in my mind & resounding throughout my room. This melancholic tune brings back many memories, of all sorts of shape and sizes. I wonder what people would do with their memories? Cherish them, hold on to them as a beacon of hope, no matter how faint or dim it is? Or chuck them aside, locking them in a mental cage for all eternity? Perhaps some would place them into a treasure chest, occasionally taking them out and reminisce the past, while a smile forms subconsciously. I think for most, we never bother to think about what memories really are to us…

Sometimes, I feel so inept, in terms of character, especially after attending church. Since I left Singapore, I felt it has been so much of a challenge trying to be a nice person to everyone. To be able to concoct the right mixture of being firm and reasonable, yet being understanding and tolerant, is by no means a simple task. A few days ago, a friend said something along the lines of this “only by our sins would we be able to see the grace of God”. I suppose our inadequateness has a role to play in developing and redefining our lifestyles as we journey through life.

As I was trying to sleep last night, I experienced the tremors from an earthquake. It is rare to encounter earthquakes in UK. I was reading the papers this morning and the frequency of an earthquake is approximately once in every 10-25 years. If I am not mistaken, the only injury sustained, from this earthquake, was by a man who hurt his leg due to a collapsed chimney. Apparently, when I first felt the tremors, I thought someone was probably making loads of noise in his room. However, I thought to myself then that no one could make so much noise till my bed would be shaking as well. Furthermore, my ceiling was also trembling. I couldn’t imagine that it would be either of my 2 resident tutors, living above me, to be having a party that would bring the house down. That was when I realized that it was probably an earthquake. In my mind, when I conceptualized the probability of an earthquake, I was thinking of whether should I get dressed and take my valuables with me including my passport. I thought that it would be extremely troublesome to replace a passport, especially when I have a VISA in it. It seems like safety isn’t of paramount importance to me. Well, guess what I did eventually? I just carried on with my numerous futile attempts to stumble into slumber land!

It’s another 2 weeks plus till my vacation in Italy. Meanwhile, I’m feeling quite stressed by my work and project. I really hope I will be able to fully utilize this time to do a productive revision in preparation for my upcoming exams. I strongly feel the need to discipline myself into doing so… as time ticks away silently and perhaps, cruelly…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel like a total loser sending this but too many things have fallen into place for me to ignore the signs. Last week my husband and I had the same dream. He never dreams or at least never remembers them.
It focused on Aliens that were here but we could not see. Silly ,right?The scary part was that at the end of my dream the voice said... The San Andreas Fault will fall an inch in May.
The San Andreas fault is in California and we all know that CA is known for their earth quakes.
The thing is that we both had the same dream! Okay, so I let that go but tonight I couldn't sleep and I turned on the TV. I hate TV! There out of all the shows I clicked onto the history channel that featured huge earth quakes as their story. So now I'm a little nervous.
Okay, so I'm new to blogging and don't want to seem like a drama queen but I looked on the computer and found your site. I guess I all want is for someone else to know we had this dream and if God for bid it comes true and there is a big shift in the fault line in May, I have a witness.
I've had 5 dreams come true so far and I pray I am totally wrong about this one.
Thank you for your lovely site.The music is beautiful.
Lisa Willett