Hogwarts' Students

Hogwarts' Students
Friends without borders

Music from Within

Joint Fireworks Night by Singapore & Hongkong Societies

Sunday 13 April 2008

13th Apr 2008 - Incoherent Thoughts

Goodness, I’m actually at a loss now, thinking of how I should start typing this post. I’ve just returned from my travels a couple of days ago. However, most of my pictures are with another friend who is still currently travelling, so I would talk about the places I’ve been to another time after I receive the photographs from her.

Returning to Durham from overseas has always been a chore. The budget flight timings back to UK are never ideal, which is an understatement since they’re budget flights, and they usually fly from and to airports which are not close to the city. Coupled with the long train rides back to Durham, it really is a hassle flying out of UK and this time round, much more of a pain flying back into UK. So far, I’ve been to 2 airports in London and on both occasions, the service (especially the immigration control) is wanting. I am unable to comprehend why the service in major airports in London can be so utterly inefficient till it’s shocking. The queue to clear the border control is as long as the Great Wall of China and BAA can just have 2 counters open. In my opinion, I think it’s quite retarded and the level of service in airports leaves much to be desired. Efficiency is something that most Singaporeans take for granted till one has seen how frustrating it can be when efficiency is nowhere to be seen. Due to their incompetence, I nearly missed my train, which was rather costly, back to Durham. I reckoned it took me about an hour and a half to clear the immigration control although it was already half eleven in the evening.

After reaching London Liverpool Street, I had to while my time away in MacDonald’s for a couple of hours before the train to Durham departed. It was there that I met an interesting gentleman, Dr. Antonio, who is from Italy. He was of British nationality but had lived in Italy since he was young. The only reason, according to him, that he is back in the UK is for the financial benefits i.e. a much higher salary. It was quite comical to hear an Orthopedist lambasting just about everything in the UK. Paraphrasing him, he said that nobody comes to the UK for food, which is rubbish, or for the weather, which is lousy. Also, he told me that he was working for the largest government hospital in London which was under the ward of the National Health Service (NHS). The NHS has a very high budget allocation from the government but the management of funds is horrific. I found out that even the cleaners in the hospital aren’t paid on time. Furthermore, I met a group of British travelers in Switzerland and they were complaining about the NHS as well. It seems like not only are the airports lacking in efficient but so are the hospitals.

On the way to Treviso airport, which is near Venice, I began to miss my family, friends and Singapore quite a fair bit. I kept thinking of the day I would return to Singapore and how I would spend my first week back in Singapore. Strangely enough, when I returned to Durham, a few of my friends messaged me via msn and asked me when I would return, that we should meet up etc. and they were quite emotional. I’m glad I’m not the only person feeling emotionally disjointed. This trip has no doubt been very enjoyable but it has also left me feeling emotionally breathless and suffocated…

No comments: